Year 7 Transition Program
We recognise that the move from primary to secondary school can be a big change for each student and their family.
All of our Year 7 students are involved in the comprehensive Transition Program that provides a firm foundation for secondary education.
Specially-tailored programs begin well before a student arrives at Star:
Your daughter's Mentor plays a critical role in the transition from primary to secondary school, is accessible on a daily basis, and is the first person to go to with any questions about life at Star.
- All students undertake a literacy and numeracy test on a Saturday morning in October
- This data, together with information from your daughter's primary school, assists us in forming our homeroom groups so that the learning potential for all students is maximised
- An information evening is held each October for parents (students do not attend this event)
- Students attend Orientation in early December
YEAR 7 2020 - KEY TRANSITION DATES
Saturday 12 October 2019: the SKILLS TESTING morning (students bring their own morning tea) - 8:15am for an 8:30am sharp start, through to 12:30pm - all families will receive more information before the event via email
Thursday 24 October 2019: the PARENT INFORMATION EVENING (parents only) - 7:00pm sharp in the Patricia Carroll Auditorium
Monday 2 December 2019: Student ORIENTATION DAY - 8:45am to 1:00pm
- Parents, please allow ample time for travel and parking - it will be very busy!
- Students are to bring a pencil case, snack, drink bottle of water and a hat and wear their primary school uniform or sports uniform
- Students will be welcomed to the College in Presentation Place by staff and the Year 7 2019 Captains
- bring your daughter to Presentation Place (inside the school gates) for drop off
- current students &/or teachers will then show your daughter to where the students will gather for the first orientation activity
- Students will meet their Mentor (teacher) and be introduced to their Mentor Group (homeroom)
- there will be 'get to know you' activities & taste-testing of classes in Mentor Groups
- students will learn which House they are in for their years at Star
- Students will be allocated their locker and bring home the combination lock to familiarise themselves with its use over the holidays (bring it on the first day in 2020)
- Students can be picked up just after 1:00pm inside the school gates