Our Commitment to Australian Democratic Principles
Star of the Sea College adheres to and promotes the principles and practices of Australian democracy:
- We believe in an accountable, democratically elected government
- We respect and observe the rule of law, and believe that no person is above the law
- We believe in equal rights for all before the law, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender or other attributes
- We believe not only in the freedom of religion, but also the need to practice tolerance and understanding of others' beliefs
- We believe in the value of freedom of speech and freedom of association, but also acknowledge that we have the responsibility not to abuse this freedom
- We believe in the values of openness and tolerance, and value and respect all members of the school community regardless of background.
We strive to ensure that our students develop:
- An understanding of, and commitment to, Australia's democratic system of government, law and civic life
- The knowledge, skills and values to act as informed and responsible citizens
- An appreciation of the experiences and heritage of Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island peoples and their influence on Australian civic identity and society
- An appreciation of Australia as a multicultural society and a commitment to supporting intercultural understandingsAn understanding of the ways in which governance structures from other countries are similar to, or differ from, democracy in Australia.